1. Service learning project logistics need to be explained ahead of time to students (often).
2. Start with your learning outcomes and determine if any of the outcomes can happen in the everyday activities at local nonprofits.
3. Make intentional efforts to collaborate with the community agencies and our SL designers at the CSL.
4. Design a start to finish project that provides the opportunity for students to experience the intended learning and build in reflection to redirect or emphasis the outcomes.
5. Come meet with our Service Learning Coordinator look at best practices.
Students from 9 different colleges completed service as part of their academic coursework this semester. Collectively the 1,400 students enrolled in service-learning courses completed 10,236 service hours for 95 different community organizations. This is an impressive contribution of $209,532 worth of service to our community.
In addition to the service contribution, students learned valuable skills such as creative problem solving, to see themselves as developing professionals, to communicate with a wide variety of audiences and more about different needs in the community.Learn more about the impact of service-learning this semester!
Christian Help is an interdenominational, non-profit organization located in downtown Morgantown on Walnut Street. After 40 successful years of operation, Christian Help remains a place of hope and empowerment to help our friends and neighbors of Monongalia County to get from where they are to where they want to be.
“Our mission is to respond to situations of emergency and need with immediacy and simplicity, respecting anyone who walks in our doors, in the spirit of Jesus Christ. We offer food through our food pantry, emergency financial assistance, housewares, and clothes through our free store and career closets. We also offer the Jobs for Life program, which educates and trains individuals to help them find a job.”
Many service opportunities are available to help out… Search by Organization on iServe and type in “Christian Help” to stay up to date!