Kristi Wood-Turner, Ed.D.
Dr. Wood-Turner is the Director for the West Virginia University Center for Service and Learning. She received her Doctorate in the field of Educational Leadership Studies at WVU with a focus in Higher Education Administration. She has a Master of Arts in Applied Social Research and a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.
As Director of the Center for Service and Learning (CS&L), Dr. Wood-Turner assists in the oversight of the Center and our initiatives. A fundamental role as Director of the CS&L is the implementation of academically sound research in the field of Service-Learning in Higher Education. Currently, she is exploring the relationship between service-learning and retention, and the impact of community partner connections. Additionally, she supports creation of learning opportunities through community outreach, community and faculty partnership building and consultation with faculty on service-learning curriculum.
Dr. Wood-Turner uses her experiences as Resident Faculty Leader (Boreman) and Instructor for SOCA 101 to connect faculty, students and community agencies in order to gain equal benefits and enhance learning. Understanding the needs of the community and linking theory to practice gives students meaning and motivation toward life-long learning. Our mission is to provide the most effective and successful learning opportunities for future Mountaineers!
Doctor of Education, Educational Leadership Studies
West Virginia University, May 2011
Research interests: student development, civic engagement, at risk populations, retention. Dissertation title: The Pinnacle of Undergraduate Education: Do capstone courses support the development of purpose and integrity?
Master of Arts, Sociology, Applied Social Research
West Virginia University, December 2002
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology
West Virginia University, May 2000
- 2013 Engaged Educator Award – WV Campus Compact
- MLA- Mountaineer Leadership Academy – Power Series Graduate (2011)
- Carnegie Classification- Campus Compact Conference, 2011
- Southern Governors Policy Commission, 2008
- Glenville State, Student Support Services, 2008
- 19th Annual National Service-Learning Conference, 2008
- HEPC Retention Conference, How students learn, 2006
- On Course – Student Success Certification (2004-2005)
NACADA Regional Conference, Advising Techniques, 2004
- National Association Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA), 2012
- International Association for Research on Service-learning & Civic Engagement (IARSLCE), 2011
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA), 2002
- WVU Carnegie Classification Steering Committee- Section Manager (Present)
- Emergency Food and Shelter Board Member (2009- Present)
- PACE TEC, Human Rights Committee (2008- Present)
- Mountaineer Leadership Academy [MLA] Cohort 2 (Present)
- Corporate Volunteer Council (2010- Present)
- WVU Diversity Week Committee (2007- Present)
- Volunteer Connection Committee (2006 – Present)
- WVU Financial Appeals Committee (2004- Present)
- Social Justice Liaison (2002- 2010)
- United Way Campaign Department Coordinator (2002- 2010)
- Foundations of Excellence Committee (2008)
- Co-Chair Youth Day of Caring (2009)
- Skyview Elementary PTO- Secretary (2007-2008)